Adolphus T. (Doll) Vandivere

The Cartersville American
Cartersville, Georgia
March 30, 1886, page 3
Transcribed by:  

Mr. Doll Vandivere was not so well at the time of going to press, as he had been for a few days past.  Up to Monday he had so far improved that his friends felt confident of his final recovery; but yesterday his condition took an unfavorable turn, and they have little hope that he will get well.


March 30, 1886
Page 3

Death of Mr. A. T. Vandivere.

The entire community is familiar with the fatal accident on the East and West railroad, on the morning of the 6th inst., in which Mr. Adolphus T. Vandivere the young conductor, was so terribly scalded and bruised.  On last Saturday morning, at 2 o’clock, a. m., after three weeks of most excruciating tortures he died.  The best medical skill, the tenderest nursing and every attention that loving relatives and sympathetic friends could bestow, and every comfort that money could purchase brought but little relief, and at last succumbed to the inevitable – death.  His physician, Dr. Lindsay Johnson, gave to him constant and devoted care, ministered to his sufferings all the remedies that skill could furnish.

Mr. Vandivere was universally esteemed for his sturdy noble qualities – with a quite simple unassuming manner, and an honest open-hearted frankness he won friends wherever he went.  Among his fellow railroad men, who knew the fullness of his character, he was especially popular.  He was at the time of his death, about twenty-five years of age.  For a number of years he had been a fearless and consistent member of the Baptist church.  He was faithful and devoted to duty; and no man who knew him could say that Doll Vandivere did not conscientiously discharge his labors.  He met the fatal accident like a hero at his post; he bore the unceasing and horrible pain it inflicted with the fortitude of a Christian, and died in triumph.

Death is an unwelcome visitor wherever and to whomsoever it may come.  When the head of pious old age, crowned with hairs of glory, and a completed race is called to the shore of that unknown land, it is sad.  When manhood is cut off with work yet unfinished, we grieve in our hearts.  But when, like our departed friend, the vigorous buoyant hopeful young men, just stepping into the arena of active manhood with unrealized possibilities, die, it is indeed sorrowful.  But such are the workings of an all wise God, and impress us with the awful uncertainty of life, and the fact that death is no respecter of age.

The funeral services took place at the Baptist church at 3 o’clock Sunday evening, and were conducted by the Rev. W. H. Cooper, in a solemn and impressive manner.  The large concourse that attended the service at the church, and followed the remains to Oak Hill Cemetery, their last resting place, evinced the esteem in which the deceased was held in the community.

Mr. Nicholls, Gen. Manager of the E. & W. R. R. together with other officials of the road, came up from Cedartown, in a special car, to attend the funeral.


GO TO: Text Site Map
Bartow GenWeb Regulars:
Coordinator & webmaster:  Arlene Woody
Asst. Coordinator & Proj. Leader:  Jane Thompson
Web developer & Transcriber:  Jan Sherrouse
Newspaper Project:  Laurel Baty
Historical Resource:  Carolyn Ward
Auditor:  Jean Taylor

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator:   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Vivian Saffold

          ©2002 - 2010 Arlene Woody

Last modified: September 8, 2006