Bob Kent

The News
Cartersville, Georgia
April 26, 1901, Page 1
Transcribed by:  

He Loses Both Legs by Sugar Hill Mine Cars.

Bob Kent, a young white convict was run over and killed at the Sugar Hill convict camp Saturday afternoon.  Kent was a water carrier and when he was crossing the railroad track, carrying two buckets of water, a stiff wind was blowing the smoke of the engine into his face and he did not see how far the approaching engine and cars were from him, and the engineer could not see him.  Both legs were cut off and he died soon afterwards.  Kent was sent up from Macon and the story of his life is best told in the following from the Macon correspondent of the Atlanta Constitution:

Macon, Ga., April 21. – Information was received in Macon this morning that Bob Kent, a well known young white man of this city, was killed last evening at Rogers in Bartow county, Ga.  He was run over by a locomotive and both legs cut off and he was otherwise uninjured.  The particulars of the affair are not known here.  In January of last year he was sent from Bibb county to the penitentiary under a sentence of two years for burglary.  He had served about fifteen months of his time.  It is not known whether he was killed at a convict camp or otherwise.  This afternoon the body of Kent arrived on the Southern train from Atlanta and was met at the depot by relatives and acquaintances and carried directly from the depot to Riverside cemetery, where it was interred.  Rev. S. L. Morris of Tattnall Square Presbyterian church officiated.

Kent was well connected in Macon, but for years he had led a disreputable life, costing his father money and trouble.  His escapades were numerous and black.  Once, soon after the commission of a crime, he was sent to the lunatic asylum at Milledgeville, but he ran away and induced a girl employee at the asylum to come off with him.  They went to various points and finally landed in Macon.  He was not returned to the asylum, as the authorities did not consider him at all crazy.  He was sent to the county chain gang several times under sentences from the recorder’s court.  At the time he was sentenced to the penitentiary there was hanging over him a recorder’s fine of $50 or four months in the chain gang for city violations.  An effort was made to send him to the asylum a second time as all means of escaping punishment for one of his misdeeds, but the jury refused to declare him a fit subject for the lunatic asylum.


GO TO: Text Site Map
Bartow GenWeb Regulars:
Coordinator & webmaster:  Arlene Woody
Asst. Coordinator & Proj. Leader:  Jane Thompson
Web developer & Transcriber:  Jan Sherrouse
Newspaper Project:  Laurel Baty
Historical Resource:  Carolyn Ward
Auditor:  Jean Taylor

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator:   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Vivian Saffold

          ©2002 - 2010 Arlene Woody

Last modified: May 20, 2007