Capt. John J. Jones

The Standard and Express
Cartersville, Georgia
September 5, 1872, page 3
Transcribed by:  

A large concourse of our citizens turned out to pay the last sad tribute to the memory of Capt. John J. Jones, who departed this life, in great peace, on Wednesday night of last week, at the Methodist church in this place, on Friday morning last, at which time and place his funeral was preached by Rev. Dr. Felton.  He died at his residence, in this place, of that fell disease, Consumption, surrounded by many sympathizing friends, who rejoiced to witness such a triumphant death.  For him death had no terrors—he had his lamps trimmed and burning, when the master called him.  Obituary next week.


September 12, 1872
Page 2.


CAPT. JOHN J. JONES, an old and respected citizen of our city, died on the morning of the 29th of August last.  In his early manhood great hopes were entertained for him—no youth in all the land was more fair and promising.  He entered public life at an early age; was an officer of court, a trader, a rising man, and seemed to enjoy life; had money plentifully and a great many friends.

In the year 1856 he met with severe pecuniary reverses, from which he never recovered.  In the meantime, lost his first wife, which seemed to cast a shadow upon all his future life.  He then lived in Chambers county, Ala.

In 1857 he came to this place, and soon entered the practice of law.  Endowed naturally with an intellect of high order, he would have ranked among the first in the profession, but for a lack of an early and thorough education and habits of study and application.

He was endowed with the highest social qualities and great kindness of heart.  His attachments and friendships were of the strongest, most sincere and reliable character.  His thirst for social life led him into company at an early age, much of which was injurious to him.  “Evil communications corrupt good manners;” never was this scripture more fully verified.  Born and reared by religious parents, taught religion and piety around and at the family altar, the fond hope of his parents was that he would escape the pollutions of the world.  Unfortunately he imbibed skeptical views, and was troubled with them up to a very few months before his death.  He was converted from the error of his way years ago, and joined the church, in this place, 1858.  Such were the habits of his life that it seemed impossible for him to live religiously; his membership in the church remained to his death.

In his last sickness, which was for months, he was led to consider his ways, and earnestly, with all his heart, to pray for full salvation in the blood of the Lamb.  After much reading and enquiry of the brethren he was enabled by faith to lay hold of the promise.

He was blest with the clearest and brightest testimony of his acceptance with God.  His soul exulted in triumphant faith, often shouting aloud the praises of God.  He almost literally died shouting.

Never have we witnessed clearer demonstrations of the truth of religion, and of its power to save and prepare a soul for its sufferings here and for the dying hour.  On one of the many occasions of rejoicings he had, he remarked, “I wish every skeptic in the land was present and just witness one of these meetings.”  Here he was on the verge of the grave, shouting, happy—with Father, Mother, Wife, Brothers and Sisters and many others shouting him over the stream of death.

He said on several occasions that it seemed a miracle to him that God should save him, show so much mercy to him; he had spent his life contrary to his convictions of duty, had done violence to the precepts of the Lord, and now at last that God should graciously bless him and make him so happy in the face of his immediate dissolution, “Oh, how strange!” he would say.  On one occasion he said, “I fear that some will take license from my case to go in sin and neglect of religion, saying here was Capt. Jones, he enjoyed life, walked in the ways of self-indulgence, was not religious, who when he came to die was all right.”   He warned all others not to live as he had, that if he had his life to live over he would live very differently.  Many were his exhortations to his children, relations and friends to live for God, to be whole-souled, zealous Christians, and to meet him in Heaven.  He attributed much of his gracious influences of the Spirit with him to the prayers of his father and mother, who had prayed for him ever since he was born, and were praying still.

Without a struggle he breathed his last.  He was 46 years, 7 months old.

Farewell dear Brother!  By the grace of God we’ll meet you on Canaan’s Happy Shore. –“J.”


GO TO: Text Site Map
Bartow GenWeb Regulars:
Coordinator & webmaster:  Arlene Woody
Asst. Coordinator & Proj. Leader:  Jane Thompson
Web developer & Transcriber:  Jan Sherrouse
Newspaper Project:  Laurel Baty
Historical Resource:  Carolyn Ward
Auditor:  Jean Taylor

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator:   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Vivian Saffold

          ©2002 - 2010 Arlene Woody

Last modified: December 8, 2006