Wes Hardy

The Cartersville American
Cartersville, Georgia
May 6, 1884, page 2
Transcribed by:  

Pistols And Pool.
Resulting in the Death of Mr. Wes Hardy.

The usual quiet and serenity of tenth Street was considerably excited and stirred about seven o’clock yesterday afternoon by the report of a revolver that rang out on the thoroughfare just in front of the Red Light restaurant.

Hastening to the place the Hot Blast reporter found Mr. Wes Hardy lying on a bed with his hands across the pit of his stomach and vomiting quite freely. He was very sick from the wound, “sicker than ever before in my life,” he said when interrogated as to how he felt.

From what could be learned, it seems that Mr. Willis A. Hawkins, jr., formerly of Americus, Ga., but more recently of this city, and another party were engaged in a game of pool in the billiard saloon of Mr. Lon Hardy, brother of the victim. During the game a dispute arose about how many games the parties had played, and from one word to another Hawkins called young Hardy a “ ___ ___ ___” whereupon Hardy retaliated by giving his opponent a blow with a billiard cue.

Hawkins left the saloon with the remark: “This is not the end of this.” A few minutes afterwards, Hawkins returned to the Red Light restaurant, next door to the billiard room and was speaking of the difficulty to Mr. Lon Hardy and other gentleman present. Mr. Wes Hardy was standing near while Hawkins was talking, and, as natural, the dispute was renewed. Hawkins received a slap on the side of the head from Hardy, whereupon he pulled his pistol and fired, the ball striking its victim in the region of the stomach, hitting the second rib, glancing and entering the cavity. After firing, Hawkins turned and walked down Tenth street toward his room, where he was found by Marshal Hunter and arrested. Drs. Davis and Sexton attended the young man and pronounced his wound not necessarily dangerous.

In reply to our question, Mr. Hawkins stated that he regretted the difficulty very much, and that it happened in this way: “Ever since I have been here I have frequented the billiard room, and grew quite intimate with Mr. Hardy. We have been in the habit of calling each other liars just for fun, and this afternoon we had “run in a jug,” and had taken a drink or two. I called him a liar about a pool score, and he didn’t like it. I told him I did not mean anything more than usual. This did not satisfy him, and I told him he could take it as he pleased. He then struck me with a billiard cue and beat me up badly. I left and went to my room and after awhile returned, and was standing in front of the red Light restaurant telling his brother about the difficulty when he came up and slapped me. As I recovered from the blow I drew and shot at him and then went to my room.”

Mr. Hardy was not allowed to talk by his physicians, but said to us, that he had whipped Hawkins in the afternoon for calling him a liar, and that later he met Hawkins in front of the Red Light restaurant, when Hawkins again called him a liar and he slapped him, and Hawkins shot him.

Mr. Lon Hardy swore out a warrant before Judge Jeffers, charging Hawkins with assault with attempt to murder. The judge placed Mr. Hawkins in the custody of Marshal Hunter, to appear before him this morning at 10 o’clock.

Mr. Wes Hardy, the wounded man, is twenty-one years old, a clerk in his brother’s billiard hall, and is regarded by every one as an honorable, congenial and clever young gentleman. He was born and reared in Cartersville, Ga., where his parents are buried and most of his relatives reside.

Mr. Willis A. Hawkins, Jr., is but recently from Americus, Ga. He is the son of Hon. Willis A. Hawkins, of that place, a former judge of the Supreme court of Georgia, and a gentleman very prominent at the criminal bar of this state. Young Hawkins graduated for the law and came to this city for the purpose of establishing himself as an attorney. He is a polished and clever young gentleman and generally liked by his associates. – Anniston (Ala.) Hot Blast, May 3d.

Mr. Hardy died late Saturday evening from the effects of his wounds. His remains were brought to his old home, at Cassville, and at three o’clock Sunday evening were interred in the cemetery at that place. Western grew up among us, and his many friends here were pained to learn of his sad and untimely death.


GO TO: Text Site Map
Bartow GenWeb Regulars:
Coordinator & webmaster:  Arlene Woody
Asst. Coordinator & Proj. Leader:  Jane Thompson
Web developer & Transcriber:  Jan Sherrouse
Newspaper Project:  Laurel Baty
Historical Resource:  Carolyn Ward
Auditor:  Jean Taylor

Bartow GenWeb Coordinator:   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Vivian Saffold

          ©2002 - 2010 Arlene Woody

Last modified: June 8, 2006