The History of Mount Carmel

 
 
Submitted by:  ; Transcribed by: 
 

In 1825 at the age of 17 years, Robert Nelson Kerr was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in Charlotte, N. C. where he lived. His mother then set him free and he went with relatives to Mississippi to work. Later he became the manager of a plantation there. He traveled back and forth keeping N. C. as his home. He became owner of 3 lots of land in Bartow Co., Ga. at this time (# 99, 100 & 112).

He looked the land over and asked the Lord what he should do. The Lord told him the community needed a church so in 1828 worship services were started in homes on lot 112 located on Pearson Mtn. with circuit riders coming by.

In 1834 the church was officially organized at that site. Later they transferred the meeting place to lot 99 near Kerr Spring. In 1844 the meeting place was changed to a building located on lot 81 & 100. In 1853 Mr. Kerr bought lot # 101 from Silas Sea and designated a certain spot for the Mount Carmel Episcopal Church to be deeded to the church and not him.

A church was built on that site on the east side of the railroad in 1854. Later they decided to build another church. Mr. Kerr deeded the land on lot 100 where construction on the present church was started around 1860. It was several years in with the Conference donating $500.00 sometime during the 1880’s.

Land was given for a cemetery also, which is adjacent to the church. The present benches were made during this time also. In 1915 the church was dedicated. In 1979 an annex was added to the church and later a picnic shelter was built. The church has been in the Matretta, Rome and Dalton Districts.

 

GO TO: Text Site Map
 
Bartow GenWeb Regulars:
Coordinator & webmaster:  Arlene Woody
Asst. Coordinator & Proj. Leader:  Jane Thompson
Web developer & Transcriber:  Jan Sherrouse
Newspaper Project:  Laurel Baty
Historical Resource:  Carolyn Ward
Auditor:  Jean Taylor

Home
Bartow GenWeb Coordinator:   
Georgia GenWeb State Coordinator: Vivian Saffold

          ©2002 - 2010 Arlene Woody

Last modified: March 28, 2006